ACOMMODATION FOR ENGINEERS

In the middle of Catllaràs, we find this curious modernist building designed by Antoni Gaudí during his stay in La Pobla de Lillet. Construction was carried out between 1901 and 1903 at the request of Eusebi Güell, founder of the Compañía General de Asfaltos y Portland, better known as ASLAND. The company had the concession to exploit the Catllaràs mines and use its coal. The Chalet served for years as a residence for the English engineers who supervised the installations.

After twenty years of work, the mines were closed and in 1937, a few years later it was transferred to the Pobla de Lillet Town Council. After years of degradation and renovations, in 2020, it was restored to its original appearance.

HOW TO ARRIVE?
HOW TO ARRIVE?

Coal mines

MORE INFORMATION

AGUSTINIAN HOUSE

At the bottom of Catllaràs mountains and just two kilometers from the center of La Pobla de Lillet we find this important monastery of Alt Berguedà. The Romanesque building has a Latin cross floor plan, the first news date back to April 819.

In 1086 a prior and five Augustinian canons settled in the monastery. They brought movement to the area until the current church was built in the urban area.

Nowadays, the monastery can be visited, you can see the different architectural styles resulting from the reforms over the years.

Near the monastery you can visit the Rotonda de San Miquel, a chapel with a circular floor plan; it’s believed that it could have been the private church of the lords of the castle. Nowadays, not so many buildings of this type can be found, enjoy it!

MORE INFORMATION

A LEADING COMPANY

The ASLAND cement factory, promoted in 1901 by Eusebi Güell, is located in a place called Clot del Moro into the municipality of Castellar de N’Hug and a few minutes from La Pobla de Lillet. The site was ideal for obtaining the raw materials: water, coal and high-quality limestone.

Its characteristic design was created to take advantage of the mountainside and to minimize energy costs during the production process. In terms of architecture, the use of the Catalan vault gives to the façade a singular aspect.

Its importance during industrialization in Catalonia was such that in 1992 the Cement Museum was installed.

MORE INFORMATION
MORE INFORMATION

Chalet of ASLAND owners.

MORE INFORMATION

THE CEMENT TRAIN

Near the information office you can visit an exhibition of vehicles that includes samples of locomotives used in the mining industry and wagons used to transport explosives. This small museum is a good starting point before embarking on the Cement Train itinerary.

Our tourist train covers a little more than 3 kilometers along. It takes one part of the old route that linked the ASLAND Cement Factory with Guardiola de Berguedà, where the cement was transferred to another train that went to Berga and Manresa.

CURIOSITY:

The first train that made the route in 1902, when the railway doesn’t exists, was the “locomóvil”, it worked on steam and was imported from California.

MORE INFORMATION

Mataplana Castle

At 24 minuts. Municipality: Gombrèn

+ INFO

Dinosaur footprints

At 34 minuts. Municipality: Vallcebre

+ INFO

Cathar Museum

At 15 minuts. Municipality: Bagà

+ INFO

Shepherd’s museum

At 17 minuts. Municipality: Castellar de N’Hug

+ INFO

Mines museum in Cercs

At 24 minuts. Municipality: Cercs

+ INFO

Monastery of St Llorenç

At 10 min. Municipality: Guardiola de Berguedà

+ INFO